[Axiom-developer] Re: [fricas-devel] Re: iterators and cartesian product

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: [fricas-devel] Re: iterators and cartesian product.
Date: 22 Oct 2007 13:19:43 +0200

Francois Maltey <address@hidden> writes:

> Axiom doesn't span Tuple and keeps the parenthesis, it's all right...

The parenthesis are, as far as I know, not really part of the tuple.  They are
just the "usual" delimiters.

> I notice we play with Tuple, CartesianProduct and record.  I let record as a
> computer data structure.

Ahm, CartesianProduct is not a domain that currently exists.  In Aldor you have
Cross, which really is the Cartesian product.  Cross(Integer, String) would be
the Cartesian Product of the domains Integer and String, i.e., an element of
Cross(Integer, String) would contain an Integer as first thing and a String as
second.

Cross does not provide a method to enumerate all it's elements, although this
is quite trivial to accomplish.

I highly advocate reading the Aldor Compiler User Guide.  It's quite
enlightening.

Note that a lot of this enumeration stuff is part of the combinat/species
project, in a very general setting.  Unfortunately, the multisort case is not
yet finished, which is probably what you would need to get Cartesian products
"beautifully".

Martin