Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: GCL on an AMD64 Linux system?

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: GCL on an AMD64 Linux system?
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 00:05:50 -0000

Ed,

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>> root wrote:
>>> Ed,
>>>
>>> I've forwarded your email to Camm Maguire, the GCL maintainer.
>>>
>>> It appears to be failing during GCL build. If you are using the
>>> Axiom distribution there is a variable in the top level
>>> Makefile that can be set to different distributions of GCL
>>> (the old distros are available in the CVS archives in the zips
>>> directory, I probably have a copy if you can't find it).
>>> If you have the appropriate GCL tar file, for example
>>>   gcl-2.6.7.tgz
>>> and you set the
>>>   GCLVERSION=gcl-2.6.7
>>> then Axiom will build on that version of GCL from the zips archive.
>>>
>>> Tim
>>
>> Can I have it use the installed GCL? The version in Portage on Gentoo is
>> 2.6.7 and it installs OK.
>

>It turns out the gcl-2.6.7 tarball is there in "zips", so I just edited
>the Makefile for 2.6.7 and it's now building. Meanwhile, I would
>actually like to use one of the installed Lisps on my systems to build
>Axiom -- I have a choice of SBCL, Clisp, GCL (and CMUCL but only on the
>32-bit systems). Normally I just install SBCL because it works with
>Maxima and the Lisp music codes I run.

Axiom cannot use the installed lisp as it is currently configured.
If you wish you could copy the obj/linux/bin/lisp to your system
location and use it as your GCL image. The only change is that it
links some routines used for communications to sman, which should
be transparent for all other uses.

Tim