Re: [Axiom-developer] "has" and "with" (was curious algebra failure)

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] "has" and "with" (was curious algebra failure)
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 10:39:39 +0200

---BEGIN aaa.as
#include "aldor"
#include "aldorio"

main(): () == {
        import from Integer;
        T1 == List Integer;
        T2 == List Integer;
        t1: T1 := [1];
        t2: T2 := t1;
        stdout << "t1 = " << t1 << newline;
        stdout << "t2 = " << t2 << newline;

#if DoesntWork
        N1: ListType Integer == List Integer;
        N2: ListType Integer == List Integer;
        n1: N1 := [1];
        n2: N2 := n1;
        stdout << "n1 = " << n1 << newline;
        stdout << "n2 = " << n2 << newline;
#endif
}
main();
---END aaa.as

woodpecker:~/scratch>aldor -laldor -DDoesntWork -fx aaa.as
"aaa.as", line 17:         n2: N2 := n1;
[L17 C19] #1 (Error) There is no suitable interpretation for the expression n1
  The context requires an expression of type N2.
     The possible types of the right hand side (`n1') are:
          -- N1

If you remove "-DDoesntWork" the code compiles and runs fine.
In Aldor T1 and T2 are identical. Constant assignment does not define a new type. That is different if you add the type (as is done for N1 and N2). The compiler introduces two new domains N1 and N2 which are like but different from List Integer.

Maybe that is confusing, but that's the way it is. (And it is sometimes useful.)

Ralf