Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: bootstrap Meta/Boot

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: bootstrap Meta/Boot
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 08:44:39 -0700 (PDT)

--- "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I may have that buried somewhere -- at one point I acquired just
> about everything I could on Forth, and I never threw it away. What
> was the title/author/date? A couple of other paths:

The papers, which I can't find:
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=59413.59435
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=59413.59429

A thesis, which I might be able to request from Florida Tech

TLISP: A Small Lisp Interpreter Implemented in Forth
 Suryadevara, Prasad  Thomas Hand
http://www.cs.fit.edu/~wds/research/theses/

> 1. I think the HP 28 / 48 / 49 series of calculators' RPL (Reverse
> Polish Lisp) might be something to look at. I almost always
> programmed it in the RPN form rather than the algebraic form,
> although it supports both. In any case, it's a very elegant language.

Indeed.  Is there a language definition somewhere for those
calculators?

> 2. More modern is the gForth/vmgen projects of Anton Ertl et. al.
> gForth is a GNU implementation of most of ANS Forth in C. IIRC it
> uses some extensions to the pure C language from gcc to provide a
> high-performance option but will compile with any C. vmgen is more
> interesting, though. Using a combination of gcc and gForth, it can
> be used to generate efficient virtual machines/interpreters for a
> number of languages. Ertl and David Gregg have published a number of
> papers on the subject, which you can find at Ertl's web site.

Neat!  The appeal of Forth for me was the "bootstrap with only bare
metal" scenario but that's primarily an historical problem these days.

> That's one of the reasons I prefer Scheme to Lisp these days ...
> there are more low-level hacks and tweaks and virtual machines and
> other efficiency-oriented gizmos for Scheme than there are for Lisp.

Probably due to the uses to which each is put - scheme, being smaller,
makes more sense for embedded applications and performance tweaks are
more critical there - applications are still hardware limited.

Cheers, and thanks!

CY

Luggage? GPS? Comic books?