[Axiom-developer] Re: concatenate and bit-vector

From: Stephen Wilson
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: concatenate and bit-vector
Date: 09 Aug 2007 20:13:46 -0400

Tim,

Documentation would certainly help the current strategy, however, I
believe that ANSI cl is really the only Lisp variant of importance to
Axiom nowadays.

Despite the fact that it is certainly more error-prone (and thus
difficult) to rewrite everything using CL idioms / semantics I am
still inclined to think that we should attempt that direction.

This opinion is based on my perception that ANSI cl has much more
mind-share than preceding dialects.  I for one never programmed in
MacLisp or VMLisp, for example.

However, there are undoubtedly many functions/macros which arose out
of these ports which are useful.  I have not tried to categorize them
in any way.  But, I would rather document what is useful and consider
them as utilities more than as `porting devices', possibly changing
their names to sit better with CL conventions.

Of course, all this has as much to do with `style' as with anything
else.  But the mind-share point and simply making the code more
accessible to CL programmers I find fairly motivating.

Any objections to this kind of reorganization as we work?

Sincerely,
Steve