Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom meeting at ISSAC

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom meeting at ISSAC
Date: 31 Jul 2007 21:54:16 -0400

Greetings!  AFAICT:

1) You can build axiom atop a stripped down version of GCL under an
   LGPL license, removing the conflict.  It could still never get into
   Debian.

2) The only rationale for a non-commercial use clause that I can see
   is to keep open the possibility of a controlled separate licensing
   to particular entites for commercial use.  Thus, open Aldor ideally
   could make significant strides which would be available to the
   commercial version, but the latter could "embrace and extend" the
   former, effectively co-opting this work and potentially draining
   open Aldor of its user and developer base.  The copyright holder
   can argue that they earn the moral right to this option with the
   initial source release, but the point as I see it is that no
   volunteer should consider sinking in large quantities of time and
   labor in scaling a steep learning curve and improving the system
   for free if the system isn't effectively guaranteed a very long
   lifetime as a vibrant open source project.  The calculus for a
   volunteer is that the benefit accrued from one's own learning and
   that of many others over a long payoff period more than compensates
   for the time lost upfront scaling the learning curve and possibly
   tailoring the system to any particular needs.

Just my $0.02.

Take care,