Re: [Axiom-developer] Pamphlet format discussion

From: Bill Page
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Pamphlet format discussion
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 12:57:12 -0400

On 7/21/07, C Y <address@hidden> wrote:
Once the autoconf work becomes mainstream, this won't matter.  The
build logic can presumably be set up such that if noweb is specified as
the literate programming tool, the other tools never need to be touched
by the build.  In that scenario, as long as the behavior and structure
the point AFTER which the literate tool of choice is loaded are
consistent, maintaining other tools need concern only those who want to
use them.  Bill, you and Gaby shouldn't ever have to worry about it -
no one would ask you to work on them.  At most, we might ask that they
be listed as a configure option with enough logic to trigger them.  I'm
hopeful that an entry of that sort would border on trivial.

Certainly I don't want to spend my time working on this, but I was
thinking more of people like Norman Ramsey and other people who
already use noweb. Why not embrace the concept of co-operating with
other open source projects instead of re-inventing the wheel? Perhaps
people would be more interested in working on the Axiom project if we
use their work rather than redoing it.

Ideally, once these things are done they will require very little work
as long as a working Lisp environment is present, but again it would
matter ONLY to the people wanting to use it.  The only point at which
it becomes a real issue is if the pamphlets go in a direction that
noweb can't follow, and I don't see that happening for a good long
while.

That does not seem consistent with what Tim Daly is writing.