Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: votes

From: Ayal
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: votes
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 10:01:40 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Martin,

> If you read my proposal carefully, you will have noticed that I would in fact
> like to have different visions being pursued, in different branches, of
> course.

You might be right there. Although technically I would call it a
fork... Semantics. But that might indeed be the best approach. I am of the
belief that different systems are not bad per se. They are aimed at doing
different things.

> Axiom is very fortunate: the algebra is (nearly) completely decoupled from the
> interpreter and the compiler.  And all of this has very little to do with the
> build system.  The situation is very very different from Maxima, for example.

You isolated one property of Maxima, one for which Axiom is perhaps a
better system. But there are many properties to Maxima, and some probably
better in Maxima than in Axiom. I believe it is good to have different
systems with different properties. Design decisions are most of the time
trade-offs, hence the use for different systems (different trade-offs).
Systems like Maxima and Axiom are so different from each other that it
would probably be difficult to even share code between the two systems.
They are both useful in different domains.

> That's roughly the way it is at the moment, and that's why I decided to
quit.
> If the democratic model or a variation of it is adopted, I'll come back and
> contribute.

But you could just fork off in to an independent project couldn't you?

> The voting system I proposed relies on cooperation just as every other system
> does.

Name one successful system where there are no laws laid down a priori and
no police or equivalent to uphold those laws, and every decision is
arrived at through voting.

> No, history (in the real world) demonstrated that sooner or later this style
> will be problematic for many people.

I hope you are wrong. I believe that most family households are not a
democracy. The parents lay down the law, and the children do not get to
vote. I am hoping most of these families are happy ones. Until the
children grow up, the parents know more about life, and thus they make
the rules.

> > It is essential that every one working on a branch has the same vision.
>
> In this case, axiom can stop development immediately.

Not necessarily. Just create a fork of the project, and pursue the
different vision in that fork.
Ayal