Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom, FriCAS, forks and teeth

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom, FriCAS, forks and teeth
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:45:36 -0700 (PDT)

--- Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> wrote:

> I believe that the core of the system would have to change, evolved,
> rewritten, rethinked.
> The future -- at least the near future -- is in parallel/distributed
> computations with multicores expected to grow exponentially.  We
> will have to rethink most of the algorithms at the of the system.
> Not just envelops like graphics backends.

For performance concerns, certainly - and I would support and be highly
interested in such work.  For myself, I am more interested in the
limits of correctness verification than high performance parallel
computing.

> Computational mathematic is not a static thing -- because it is
> about computation and the technology evolves, quite rapidly.

It depends on what one wants to achieve.  Many interesting and
practical problems are likely within the domain of today's systems, but
physical scientists must do a great deal of computation work either by
hand or with a wary eye on the results of their CAS.  I would like the
CAS to be more reliable with its correctness (either by itself or with
the aid of proof-based results checking) than human beings - it opens
up a new category of usefulness for the tools, IMHO.

Cheers,
CY

Choose the right car based on your needs.  Check out Yahoo! Autos new Car
Finder tool.
http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/