Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom, FriCAS, forks and teeth

From: Stephen Wilson
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom, FriCAS, forks and teeth
Date: 09 Jul 2007 17:21:18 -0400

Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> writes:
> Could you give them right away without looking them up somewhere? Then
> look them up. Where would you search?

Everything is a pamphlet.  Submit diff -Nuar patches to the list.

Anything else?

Perhaps these items are missing from the FAQ?  As always, patches
welcome.

> The literate approach is one goal that I am not going to
> sacrifice. The question rather is that we cannot easily achieve it and
> it is currently unwise to require perfect documentation always as we
> need more developers and must teach new developers how to program in
> an LP style. As long as the developer is still on the project, it
> should be allowed to move code to trunk that does not 100% meet
> perfection with respect to LP. We can be more and more restrictive if
> the number of contribution grows. (BTW, I don't say, it should be
> allowed to move code without a reasonable explanation to trunk, just
> that the degree of perfection need not be 100% always.)

I honestly dont think 100% perfection was a stated goal.  The patch I
recently posted was pretty much a failure.  It changed two or three
lines of code.  But I took the liberty to _start_ documenting the
function I was working with.  That piece of the contribution can be
salvaged.  Its far from perfect documentation, there is immense room
for improvement.

I wonder what will happen the next time someone touches that file.
Will they just change the code and be done with it?  Or will they add
a new insight, a new paragraph, or even `finish' my half-baked attempt?

Sincerely,
Steve