[Axiom-developer] Re: Lisp in Small Pieces

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Lisp in Small Pieces
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 12:44:30 +0200

I'm interested in continuations (or futures) because this would be a
perfect mechanism for handling multi-branching provisos, each branch
in its own continuation. The closest thing in spad seems to be
infinite streams. However an explicit continuation mechanism would be
very nice indeed.

Oh, do you like to introduce "Generator" into SPAD? Otherwise I don't understand why *I* should become interested in LISP contiuations.

For me LISP is an implementation detail. At some (very low) level of abstraction (and in particular at the algebra level), I don't want to see LISP anymore. SPAD/Aldor should be the way to program. If there is any need to switch to LISP then it's probably better to think about the corresponding implementation design of the algebra code.

Aldor is sufficiently powerful. And if SPAD is not going to be as powerful as Aldor and there would be need to do something in LISP, then I consider that a really bad design decision.

Ralf