Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: FriCAS

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: FriCAS
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 02:03:29 +0200

Hi,

I must say, I don't like all this discussion about patches sent to the list or not. It is not about agreeing or not agreeing to the Axiom project goals. (BTW, what is the right way to come from http://www.axiom-developer.org to a page that describes these goals?)

Note that it took so long until we finally arrived at Silver being the Gold-to-be and living in sourceforge axiom trunk. That we agreed on Silver=trunk appeared only recently. From then on patches can be against the latest trunk. (I never understood why it should be patches against Gold.)

Anyway, I believe (and I am probably right) that the branching (which started with build-improvements and then wh-sandbox) without sending patches (against gold) to the list was because these patches would disappear into a (formerly hidden gold-to-be). Up to the day when Tim showed his gold-to-be, everyone had to go through the mailing list and apply the patches to gold himself to arrive at (nearly) the same version that Tim did not want to show. A complete waste of time.

Now gold-to-be=silver=trunk is in the open and developer knows about the hottest and latest development. That is good. In my eyes sending patches is about to begin. Gaby is preparing. But note, we had no open silver (but rather two or three unofficial ones). This chaos has stopped me from actually opening a doc-improvements branch. And I will not start contributing any code until I see a development model I understand and which seems efficient to me.

Sure, it's my decision. But I consider myself new and unexperienced to big open source projects. It is really not easy to understand what is going on with Axiom. Maybe some people think that it is completely clear to every one on the list what it means to "send a diff -Naur patch". Nice attitude, but it doesn't decrease the hurdle for new contributors.

Hey guys, try to work together.

Ralf