[Axiom-developer] Re: [Maxima] gcl inlining policy

From: Raymond Toy
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Maxima] gcl inlining policy
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 13:36:39 -0400

Matt Kaufmann wrote:

It might be *very* useful to have a user-settable special variable
that controls inlining.  I'm imagining that by default, ACL2 would
inline all built-in and user-defined function calls that GCL allows,
but that when one wants to trace, then it would be nice to be able to
rebuild with inlining turned down or off.

Isn't this what (declaim (inline foo)) is supposed to do? Granted, it's tedious to specify this for every function foo that you want inlined, but that seems to me the right thing to do too. I can't imagine wanting to inline every single function! :-)

Ray