[Axiom-developer] FriCAS started

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: [Axiom-developer] FriCAS started
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 16:07:02 +0200 (CEST)

I wrote:
> I plan to created a new project called FriCAS

FriCAS is now started -- you can see the SVN repository at:

http://fricas.svn.sourceforge.net/

To check out a copy do:

svn co https://fricas.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/fricas/trunk fricas

FriCAS revision 6 is identical to a subset of wh-sandbox branch revision 646.
Subset, because I decided to do a major cleanup -- FriCAS source tree
(withoout .svn files) takes 21 Mb, while wh-sandbox needs 74 Mb.
Checked out FriCAS tree is 62 Mb compared to 180 Mb for wh-sandbox.

I have removed Nag library support, doc subdirectory, cached viewport,
cached databases and libaxiom.al.  There are also few other removals.
Due to removals revision 6 is completly broken -- it is useful only
for the purpose of monitoring changes.

The current revision, that is revision 11 corrected most of the
breakage.  In particular algebra should now bootstrap from
empty databases.  To make graphic examples in HyperDoc one
has to invoke extra command in X windows (the rest of the build
works fine in text mode).  I know of some uncorrected breakage on
HyperDoc pages (due to Nag routines), and of course more breakage can
show up.

FriCAS prints a different banner:

GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  2.6.7 CLtL1    Oct 13 2006 23:36:27
Source License: LGPL(gcl,gmp), GPL(unexec,bfd)
Binary License:  GPL due to GPL'ed components: (READLINE BFD UNEXEC)
Modifications of this banner must retain notice of a compatible license
Dedicated to the memory of W. Schelter

Use (help) to get some basic information on how to use GCL.
                 FriCAS (AXIOM fork) Computer Algebra System
                         Version: FriCAS 2007-05-31
                 Timestamp: Friday July 6, 2007 at 06:18:56
   Issue )copyright to view copyright notices.
   Issue )summary for a summary of useful system commands.
   Issue )quit to leave AXIOM and return to shell.

(1) ->

but otherwise identifies itself as Axiom.  Let me know more distinction.
Also, ATM I am not setting up a separate mailnig list -- let me know
if you do not want FriCAS traffic on Axiom maining list.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden