Re: [Axiom-developer] Build machinery -- support for out of source build

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Build machinery -- support for out of source build
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 09:37:27 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007, Stephen Wilson wrote:

| Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> writes:
|
| > On Sun, 1 Jul 2007, Stephen Wilson wrote:
| >
| > | Am I correct in assuming the generated .lisp files are still easily
| > | inspected and modified, and share their own component of the
| > | dependency graph for make?
| >
| > If I understand your question correctly, the answer is yes.
|
| Ok.  Just for the sake of clarity, I meant that one can modify the
| intermediate lisp, and have those changes picked up by the build
| process without them being overwritten by a fesh tangling of a
| pamphlet.

In build-improvements, the .lisp files have depenencies on
.lisp.pamphlet so that when .lisp are newer -- e.g. contained
hand-made changes -- they are not overwritten by the untangling
machinery.  Similarly the result of Boot -> Lisp translation
has careful dependency so that hand-made tweaks are not overwritten.