Re: [Axiom-developer] Build machinery -- support for out of source build

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Build machinery -- support for out of source build
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 08:57:17 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007, Stephen Wilson wrote:

| Am I correct in assuming the generated .lisp files are still easily
| inspected and modified, and share their own component of the
| dependency graph for make?

If I understand your question correctly, the answer is yes.

| I guess I would like a tad bit more info than saying the current
| scheme is bad.  It tells me nothing about the benifits of your change.

In my experience, the current scheme has led to more problems, complications
than any perceived benefits.  It has many pitfalls when trying to
port to "non-conventional" filesystems, e.g. what you'd find on windows
and unixes with mounted filesystems.  I believe wh-sandbox was
branched before I finished making build-improvements fully workable
on windows.  I believe people have ecncountered amny variations of the
problems there.  On balance, I see the current steup having more
problems than benefits it gives us on daily basis.