Re: [Axiom-developer] A modest proposal

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] A modest proposal
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 11:48:54 +0200

All of these remarks are stinging and pointed. So were the remarks
directed at me. Raise your eyes. Look toward cooperating by contributing your time and energy to goals that go beyond the personal. Spend SOME of your time on documenting/merging/testing your work. We need to start working like SBCL, like GNU binutils, like Linux, like every other project. There are no quick fixes. It is all hard work. We need to change the "best-branch-wins" attitude so we can work together to build a great system.

So we've entertained the "Sit Proposal". Now it is time to entertain
the "Daly Proposal". We don't need a web page to vote. Here's how to
submit your vote.... Figure out a needed feature (e.g. Hyperdoc fix),
make a diff-Naur changeset, document, test, and post it.

Tim, in order to help Gaby and Waldek to submit patches (which at least Gaby said, he will do), it is very important that they know the svn revision numbers of the changes that you took out.

*Please, post the ranges of SVN revisions* (something like 234:256,332:341, etc.) that you took from Waldek's or Gaby's branch and post them to the list.

If that is done then we probably would not have to vote about taking over Waldek's branch and just move it to trunk. That this will cause problems for you is clear. But at the moment, there is no easy way to relate the patches that you have applied to trunk to revision numbers of Gaby's and Waldek's branch. That is one of the current problems. It is not the unwillingness to contribute to trunk. It is the problem that we cannot agree on *one* SCM and that the relation between trunk and build-improvements and wh-sandbox is unclear.

Ralf