[Axiom-developer] Root chunk naming conventions

From: C Y
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Root chunk naming conventions
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 15:10:43 -0700 (PDT)

I'm making a little progress on ASDF-Literate, and as I'm doing so a
question question has arisen about naming of chunks intended to be
"root" chunks - i.e. chunks that are points of extraction for the build
process.

Right now, those chunks have names corresponding to source file names,
as far as I can tell.  This is OK, but I'm attempting to auto-generate
names for the tangle and compile steps based on the chunk name and
source file - these names result in some pretty strange file names.  It
doesn't matter particularly on Linux (and after all anything except the
pamphlet file may be regarded as machine generated) but I'm concerned
something like foo-bar.lisp.lisp may cause some operating systems to
gag.

There are three solutions I can see right now:

1.  Assume all root chunks (except the known "*" default case) will
have valid filenames as chunk names, and don't generate any name - use
the chunk string itself.

2.  Give root chunks names like any other chunk and trust the build
routines to generate file names.

3.  Mangle the chunk name - strip off any .*** ending and work with
that string.  Might have unintended consequences if a non-file chunk
name wants to use a "."

Does anyone else have opinions on this issue?  As I'm doing a lot of
pathname related mangling anyway I'm up for any of the three, if there
is any concensus as to what the preferred direction is.

Cheers,
CY

FareChase.
http://farechase.yahoo.com/