Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom under Windows

From: Bill Page
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom under Windows
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 06:10:58 -0400

On 6/13/07, Alasdair McAndrew wrote:
I do think that file and directory names should follow the alphanumeric
convention of program variables, and not include white spaces or strange
characters.  But then, I'm old fashioned.

Well, instead of just annoying Gaby by suggesting that coding styles
that do not conform to the file name conventions of the operating
system are simply deficient, I should admit that it does make sense
to me to restrict the allowed filenames when portability is the main
issue. For example the POSIX standard does make such a restriction:

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/basedefs/xbd_chap03.html#tag_03_276

But the point is that one should not implement software that assumes
this restriction. I think Waldek said it best: "programs that mishandle
such names [with funny characters] are clearly broken".