Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom under Windows

From: Gregory Vanuxem
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom under Windows
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 01:19:30 +0200

Le mardi 12 juin 2007 à 14:54 +0200, Waldek Hebisch a écrit :
> Gregory Vanuxem wrote:
> > hypertex and the libdb.text files (Gold is buggy here). I can no longer
> > use Axiom built on top of GCL because of a spurious bug in GCL
> > (conditional statements not handled) and wh-sandbox misses file related
> > functions when built on top of SBCL. Anyway when time will permit I'll
>
> Could you be more specific about file handling in Windows SBCL?  AFAIK
> makedir is problematic (but I hoped that it would work if you have mkdir
> program in correct place) also chdir does not do much (but IIRC it is
> taken verbatim from your Windows version).

No, I was speaking about SBCL wh-sandbox built on Linux, sorry I was not
clear. Your version misses writablep and consort (try to read the
fname.input file). Attached is the file that I use (I think you already
have it), it's a literal translation of the C code in
Build-improvements. This code is not satisfactory and file/directory
handling should be reworked I think. For Windows it's a real pain to
work on file or directory, as a matter of fact the code here returns
always true (readablep, writablep etc..). I quickly looked at your code
and you seem to assume a unix environment, why not using obey.bat ? That
gives you a "shell" which provides some file related functions (after
all this is Windows...).

> Do you have problems with
> other functions?

(Do not take me wrong, consider what I'm saying with the tonality of a
joke). Yes a lot! I would like to be able to (Windows and Linux):

  )cd Something (a namestring is missing apparently)

  )fin (a problem here, some Lisp implementations do not fall in a
read-eval-print loop when a "main" function is provided)

  )trace INT )op + )break after

  have better error message (using (format nil "%a" ...) ?)

  Suppress the warnings, particularly when you compile a Spad file
  since it's a pain to find the Spad error (even if the error is
  NoValueMode is an Unknown mode  :-)

  Some other things that I do not remember.

I know, of course, I can send some patches but actually this is really
difficult :-(

> Also, do you how to pass file names to Windows
> utilities in a way that avoid damage due to command line parsing
> -- Unix shell has more qouting rules which allow you to pass any legal
> charater as part of filename (I plan to add a simple encoder which
> quotes all characters that need quoting).  I hope that Windows has
> equivalent functionality.

No idea, I'm a Windows newbie. Via obey.bat ?

Many thanks.

Greg

PS 1: I have not tested wh-sandbox on Windows but be sure, I'll do.

PS 2: An important thing, many many thanks for the new bootstrap mode
(suppression of cached Lisp in Spad file). I added it to my tree: a real
pleasure since I have done a lot of tests : modifying core domains,
added domains to $optimizableConstructorNames etc.. That saved me a lot
of time.