Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: testing hyperdoc package on Windows

From: Alfredo Portes
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: testing hyperdoc package on Windows
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 06:45:49 -0400

To remove the grep error do as explained by Waldek:

)lisp (setf |$standard| 't)
)lisp (setf |$saturn| 'nil)

Also you will need a newer version of axiom like wh-sandbox,
as Martin explained in a previous email. Bill, were you able
to compile wh-sandbox or build-improvements in windows?

On 6/10/07, Bill Page <address@hidden> wrote:
On 10 Jun 2007 21:44:54 +0200, Martin Rubey wrote:
> William Sit <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > (1) -> SOCKET(8080, getDocumentation$HyperDoc)
> > /OpenAxiom/axiom014/mnt/windows/lib/hyper.NRLIB/code
for
> >       package HyperDoc
> > j:/OpenAxiom/axiom014/mnt/windows/algebra/OPQUERY.o for
> >       package OperationsQuery
> >
> >    >> System error:
> >    GREP is invalid as a function.
> >
> > protected-symbol-warn called with (NIL)
> >

> > I put GREP.EXE (windows version) into the same directory,
> > but the same error.
>
> Try to put grep into the path. I guess that it's called by boot.

No, the message says: "GREP is invalid as a function". This
means that OPQUERY was trying to call a Lisp *function*
whose name is GREP. This has nothing directly to do with the
unix grep utility -- except that it does: We know from other
discussions about Axiom on Windows that the Lisp function
GREP was one of those things that was re-written by NAG as
a C extension of CCL when they ported Axiom to Windows.
On Linux the GREP function just calls OBEY "grep ..." which
uses SI::SYSTEM to call the grep utility, but (usually) this is
not possible on Windows so they wrote it in C. But this was
not back-ported to GCL when GCL was used to implement
Axiom on Windows.

It is possible that including some "grep-like" command on
Windows *might* work if you also disable the "Saturn" option.
This might re-enable the Linux-compatible GREP function
which would then call your fake grep utility much like on linux.
As I recall there were some other reasons why Saturn should
be disabled on windows - check the axiom-developer email list
for how to do that.

Otherwise, if that doesn't work, you might have to provide such
a GREP function yourself (just copy from the Axiom source).