[Axiom-developer] Database bootstrap

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Database bootstrap
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 02:26:27 +0200 (CEST)

I just managed to bootstrap Axiom starting from essentially empty
databases.  How does it work?  It is a multistage process, and
at the end of given stage I dump databases and use them for the
next stage.  In first stage I create a number of fake categories and
domains -- they essentally serve as forward declarations using then
I compile all categories and a few core domains. Next I compile
domains and packages in bootstrap mode.  Then I compile categories
and core domains using bootstrapDomains flag.  Next I recompile
categories and core domains in normal mode, and then I compile in
normal mode  other files.  During main compile compilation of
a few files would fail, so I compile than later.  After that
resultion Axiom failed some tests, so as a final step I recompiled
several files (that fixed the failures).

Good news is that the whole process converged, but it is disturbing
that when some type information is missing Spad compiler can
make pretty weird type inferences.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden