[Axiom-developer] Is anybody actually doing mathematics with Axiom?

From: Alasdair McAndrew
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Is anybody actually doing mathematics with Axiom?
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 19:37:53 +1000

Admittedly I'm very new to the Axiom game, but in the few months I've been involved, the Axiom mail-lists have been almost exclusively concerned with meta-mathematics: emacs and TeXmacs, version control systems, and just recently sets versus topoi versus categories.

Not that these things aren't of fundamental importance, but does anybody actually use Axiom for mathematics: teaching, research, or even fun?  Is anybody out there adding further mathematical functionality to Axiom - numerical routines, difference equation solvers, discrete mathematics etc etc?

FWIW, as Martin well knows, I've been banging my head over pattern matching and z-transforms lately. I have a file which works to about 75%; the last bit, which involves partial fractions, is still giving me gyp.

And on the meta-mathematical side, has anybody got an emacs mode to work with *.input files?

And on the subject of numerical routines, is anybody interested in using any of the netlib stuff (lapack, for exmaple), in Axiom?  It's GPL, I believe.

cheers,
Alasdair