Re: [Axiom-developer] CCL maintenance.

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] CCL maintenance.
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 06:01:16 -0700 (PDT)

--- Waldek Hebisch <address@hidden> wrote:

 >From my point of view main advantage of CCL is that it is quite
> portable.  Also, it looks that CCL can be cross-compiled with
> basically the same effort as for native build.  There is also
> licencing issue: IIUC CCL licence is pretty liberal when somebody
> wants to deliver closed source program on top of CCL, but is
> GPL incompatible.  Big disadvantage is lack of Ansi compatibility.

Lack of ANSI compatibility is a killer, IMHO.  Any sense of how far
from ANSI it is?  CMUCL and SBCL are both very liberal about licensing
IIRC, so they can serve as a deployment platform for that type of
thing.  Also, if someone wants to go closed source they are probably
well advised to take a look at Allegro.

> Clisp is also quite portable, so it is possible that CCL offers
> no advantages over clisp (but this requires more analysis).

I think the main issue there is the performance of Clisp, which IIRC is
quite slow compared to CMUCL et. al.

Cheers,
CY

The fish are biting.