[Axiom-developer] Re: [ANN] yet a better version of the axiom mode for e

From: Jay Belanger
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: [ANN] yet a better version of the axiom mode for emacs.
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 22:30:40 -0500

Let me echo the praise you're getting; this is very nice.

>   In fact, all of this waiting-for-output stuff should be rewritten, but I
>   don't understand it enough.

It's a pain; is it causing problems?  I think it should be kept in,
but for the time being (until someone needs it for EAxiom or
something) it could be made to do nothing by commenting out
`axiom-wait-for-output' and replace it by a function with the same
name which does nothing.  Or even make it configurable:
make a variable `axiom-output-wait' or something, and
  (defun axiom-wait-for-output ()
     (if axiom-output-wait
          previous definition
       nil))

> * For me, the following is *very* severe. Try:
>
>     for i in 1..10 repeat ([j for j in 1..2000]; output "hi")
>
>   in a usual shell buffer and in axiom mode.  Very unfortunately, the axiom
>   mode currently accumulates all output and then displays it at once.  Since I
>   use such constructs often to be able to check how far a computation got
>   already, it makes the mode unusable for me.

This has nothing to do with waiting for output, or even Emacs.  Axiom
will do that when called with the -noclef option; I have no idea why.

Jay