Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: axiom-mode

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: axiom-mode
Date: 22 May 2007 19:47:52 +0200

C Y <address@hidden> writes:

> > Just another idea: M-up could get you into output "mode", and in that
> > "mode", some ordinary keys have a different meaning: b for blue
> > foreground, B for blue background, g for green, r for red, space for
> > black, etc.  That would really be a killer app!  None of the current
> > interfaces for maple, mathematica, mupad, etc. is able to do that!
> > I beg you to look at it!
>
> I'll check - Jay, does Emacs allow that kind of dynamic, context
> sensitive key binding?  I MIGHT be able to put together some sort of
> hack but an Emacs supplied mechanism would be better.

Maybe mmm-mode + picture mode is the right thing for that?  I just added the
following to my axiom.el:

(defface axiom-blue-output '((t (:background "red")))
  :group 'axiom)

(defun make-blue ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((over (make-overlay (point) (+ (point) 1) nil nil t)))
    (overlay-put over 'face 'axiom-blue-output)))

* it is awkward to get into the output region. I'd prefer up to move one line
  up, as usual, and M-up to move to the previous input.

* within the output region, only coloring should be possible, but moving around
  and painting should be extremly simple.  The main question is: where does the
  cursor go after a letter has been colored.  I think there are two sensible

  1) it stays where it is - that's the current setting
  2) we use picture mode

  In any case, I think single-letter keybindings would be wonderful.

* the behaviour of undo should be reconsidered.  I think it shouldn't undo
  anything but editing.  Currently, if I hit undo often enough, it will delete
  the prompt, and output, etc.

> I don't view the turning red on alteration of input as trivial

No, don't get me wrong: I wanted to say: that's a nice feature, but don't try
to implement cells and stuff like that.

> I think, give or take the bugs, I am content to leave it pretty much where it
> is (your output marking feature I can take a stab at) and move on to the more
> advanced LaTeX based features.

What are "more advanced LaTeX based features"?  Displaying output as typeset
LaTeX?  To be honest, that's completely uninteresting for me.  On the other
hand, I know of others who would like it. (Alasdair mentioned it, a colleague
of mine, too.)

> OK, if there is interest I'll take a stab at it.  I take it you are
> interested mainly in being able to send lines and highlight output, and not
> so much the LaTeX session integration of EMaxima?

YES!  Would be just wonderful!

Good luck,

Martin