RE: [Axiom-developer] Lisp portability

From: C Y
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Lisp portability
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 07:41:27 -0700 (PDT)

--- Bill Page <address@hidden> wrote:

> More seriously, this issue of Lisp (non)portability is a
> major problem. I can not believe that there are/were people
> on this email list that touted the portablity of Lisp as
> a reason for downgrading Axiom code to that level!

As I understand it, sockets of various types are the major problem
currently? Unix domain sockets and select are not something I know much
about, so I have some background reading to do.

writeablep functions I'm also not familiar with.

Waldek, do I understand correctly that these socket connections are
used for the axiom terminal interface, the graphics, and the hyperdoc
system?  My (limited) understanding of how Maxima handled communication
with interfaces like xmaxima was that it used tcp sockets, sort of a
pseudo-webserver/web-browser type connection.  (Many use more primative
means, unfortunately...)  Can you recommend a good introduction into
the various types of sockets/select?

Cheers,
CY

 the right car based on your needs.  Check out Yahoo! Autos new Car Finder tool.
http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/