[Axiom-developer] Re: TeXmacs+Axiom

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: TeXmacs+Axiom
Date: 21 May 2007 20:38:34 +0200

Dear Bill, *

I just installed TeXmacs (version 1.0.6 on kubuntu), but I also have trouble
getting it to work with axiom.  Additionally, it seems extremely slow, but
maybe that's due to my laptop showing its age.

Since I'm not going to use TeXmacs myself, speed is not that much an issue.
I'd just like to know how to get it work in order to be able to help others.

After starting texmacs, and finding out that I have to click on insert-session,
there was no Axiom entry in the menu.  After a little hacking, I found that
init-axiom-scm expects axiom to reside in /usr/bin/axiom, which isn't the case
on my machine, and probably not on many others, since many people will not be
root, I guess.

Thus I changed /usr/bin/axiom to $AXIOM/bin/axiom:

 (:require (url-exists-in-path? "$AXIOM/bin/axiom"))

and indeed, Axiom now shows up as a supported session.  However, I get the same
error as Ralf, although AXIOMsys and axiom certainly are in the path.  (and I
didn't modify tm_axiom either) Note however, that I'm using wh-sandbox, which
has a slightly different banner. Maybe that's the problem?

On the console I get:

address@hidden:~$ texmacs --debug-io
TeXmacs] With linked TrueType support
TeXmacs] Launching 'tm_axiom'