Re: [Axiom-developer] Community

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Community
Date: 19 May 2007 20:51:08 -0500

address@hidden writes:

| COMMUNITY

It is good to see you're back to community effort.

By far my largest beef about this Axiom project is that it is
*unfocused*.  It is probably the only unfocused open source
project I've ever worked on.

The patient archeologist might go back a year ago and traces activity,
discussions, around the Axiom project since then and see why and how
we get to the place we're contemplating today.

WRT to GCC, yes there are many versions of GCC floating around: FSF
GCC, Red Hat GCC, SuSE GCC, CodeSourcery GCC, Apple GCC, etc.
However, all of them co-operate to get FSF GCC move forward.  Because,
they all agree what the mainstream GCC should be.

Don't try to blame the current active branches as fragmenting the
small, unfocused community.

I can't speak for Waldek, but it certainly is not my intent to have
a Gaby Axiom.  Such an extreme situation would happen only if we
cannot agree on working on a community project.  I've always
considered Axiom.build-improvements as a community effort, and I'm
glad to see it served others, e.g. Waldek's branch of Gregory's
private work.

Please, update our website and document what branch of Axiom is now
considered Silver.

[...]

| The Axiom Gold version lives in Arch on axiom-developer.org and is
| also publicly mirrored into CVS at sourceforge and CVS at savannah.

If you want community, focused, project you really want to limit the
number of official "sources".  In particular, you really want to
mirror Axiom Gold at sourceforce SVN.

And you don't want to release Axiom once in a while, if you want a
focused community.  You want to release early, you want to release
often.