Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: Literate documentation

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: Literate documentation
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 21:40:04 +0200

The key reason Leo does not attract me is that I live in
emacs.  However, I will download it and try it.

Great. Xemacs is integrated into Leo as an external editor
plug-in. Let me know if you think I can help.

Hi Bill, hi Tim,

please open LeoPy.leo in LEO. That is supposed to be the sources of LEO itself. When I first read documentation about LEO several months ago I had that impression and what I see in LeoPy.leo is just what I feared.

Leo supports outlining, but not literate programming (at least not as I want to understand it).

I cannot simply take LeoPy.leo, start at the first section and read my way through the code, ehm documentation.

Just look at the top-level outline:

+ Buttons, commands & scripts
+ Notes
+ Projects
+ To do
+ Code

That doesn't make an article nor a book.

The thing I want to see first is documentation. LP is description of ideas and backgrounds, proofs, etc. that is supported by running code. LEO seems to focus the other way round (program text with comments). ((Oh, I still haven't read enough. You can convince me otherwise.))

But if Axiom code ends looking like that what LeoPy.leo presents, then LEO gets a clear *no* from me.

Ralf