Re: [Axiom-developer] [build-improvements] more character stuff

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] [build-improvements] more character stuff
Date: 14 May 2007 19:37:55 -0400

Greetings!

Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, 13 May 2007, Waldek Hebisch wrote:
>
> | BTW. Jurgen Weiss made choce between character and string-char
> | conditional.  It is not clear for me if GCL supports ANSI
> | enough to work well using character
>
> I forgot to mention that I looked at the GCL info file and I did
> not spot anything obvious that made the use of character type
> inappropriate.
>
> | -- we probably should ask
> | Camm if there are any issues making string-char preferable
> | for GCL.
>
> Camm, do we have good enough support for the ANSI Lisp
> character type so that we can use it in lie of string-char?

'character and 'string-char are aliases in most instances.  After
poking around a bit in 2.6.x, the only possible gotcha I found was

(array-element-type (make-array 10 :element-type 'character)) -> 'string-char

string-char is currently out of 2.7, but I'll probably put it in as
deftyped to character for cltl1 compliance before release.  2.7
appears fully ansi compliant in this regard as far as I can tell.

Take care,