[Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom and ANSI GCL

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom and ANSI GCL
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 01:57:21 +0200 (CEST)

> On Sat, 28 Apr 2007, Bill Page wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> >            From my point of view it is enough that we
> > now have a version of the Axiom source that compiles
> > using GCL in ANSI mode.
>
> I've read in some of the mails that
>
>     (in-package "boottran")
>
> found in document.in is wrong in ANSI CL.
>
> Why?

In Ansi Lisp string argument to in-package is case sensitive (as
all other strings).  Normal reader converts symbols to upper case.
So if you want to access boottran::boottocl

you have to write

(in-package "BOOTTRAN")
(boottocl ...)

Writing

(in-package "boottran")
(boottocl ...)

calls |boottran|::boottocl

BTW: It is intersting to compare sbcl and GCL on:

(make-package "BOOTTRAN")
(in-package "boottran")

Apparently even Ansi GCL stil is does not handle this correctly.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden