Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Axiom-commit] SF.net SVN: axiom: [508] branch

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Axiom-commit] SF.net SVN: axiom: [508] branches/wh-sandbox
Date: 27 Apr 2007 10:46:02 -0500

Waldek Hebisch <address@hidden> writes:

| Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
| > > One remark: I dislike both ENV and AX_FLAGS (to say the truth I dislike
| > > AX_FLAGS more than ENV).
| >
| > Ah, it is a matter of dislike :-/
| >

| Of course: I am not payed for working on Axiom, so I do this because
| I like it :-).  And I think that other Axiom developers care how
| the code looks like for the same reason...

Of course, everybody cares about how the code looks like.  However, it
had seemed to me that we introduced incompatibilities on technical
grounds, not just because we disliked the spelling of something.

ENV presents far more *technical* problems than AX_FLAGS does, because ENV
does already have a meaning for most POSIX environments.

| > I'll very much appreciate to be enlightened about where all this is
| > going.  If you plan a merge back to build-improvements, then I suspect
| > it is more productive to refrain from gratuitous incompatibilities
| > based on dislike.  If you don't plan merge back to build-improvements,
| > please let us know.
| >

| I wrote you few months ago that IMHO AX_FLAGS potentially has the similar
| problems to ENV.

If you did and I did not address your objections, then I must have missed
the message.

| You do not consider AX_FLAGS problematic so you call
| my change gratuitous.

AX_FLAGS presents far less technical problems than ENV does; in fact,
I would be very much interested in the problems you see with AX_FLAGS
that is not present with ENV.

I asked for technical reasons, the serious reason I have been offered
is that "you dislike it more than ENV".  THAT reads "gratuituous"
difference in my book.

| But since I do not agree with your opinion about
| AX_FLAGS I also do not agree with calling it gratuitous.  I am trying to
| avoid unnecessary differences, but since I am maintaining wh-sandbox
| I feel that ultimatly it is to me to judge what is necessary.
|
| Concerning merge: I did a substantial work to reduce differnces between
| build-improvements and wh-sandbox and I will help doing merge.  But
| the outcame will largely depend on you: AFAIK you object to many
| changes in wh-sandbox so there I problem with wholesale merge.  I am
| willing to help identify idependent parts or modify offending code.
| But if we find too many places where our opinions differ than the
| merge will turn into cherry picking and it is only you who can
| cherry pick to build-improvements.

Well, I do no insist that you merge back to build-improvements if your
taste dictates you refrain from doing so.  However, I do appreciate to
know where the changes are going.