Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Axiom-commit] SF.net SVN: axiom: [508] branch

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Axiom-commit] SF.net SVN: axiom: [508] branches/wh-sandbox
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 17:34:58 +0200 (CEST)

Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> > One remark: I dislike both ENV and AX_FLAGS (to say the truth I dislike
> > AX_FLAGS more than ENV).
>
> Ah, it is a matter of dislike :-/

Of course: I am not payed for working on Axiom, so I do this because
I like it :-).  And I think that other Axiom developers care how
the code looks like for the same reason...

> I'll very much appreciate to be enlightened about where all this is
> going.  If you plan a merge back to build-improvements, then I suspect
> it is more productive to refrain from gratuitous incompatibilities
> based on dislike.  If you don't plan merge back to build-improvements,
> please let us know.

I wrote you few months ago that IMHO AX_FLAGS potentially has the similar
problems to ENV.  You do not consider AX_FLAGS problematic so you call
my change gratuitous.  But since I do not agree with your opinion about
AX_FLAGS I also do not agree with calling it gratuitous.  I am trying to
avoid unnecessary differences, but since I am maintaining wh-sandbox
I feel that ultimatly it is to me to judge what is necessary.

Concerning merge: I did a substantial work to reduce differnces between
build-improvements and wh-sandbox and I will help doing merge.  But
the outcame will largely depend on you: AFAIK you object to many
changes in wh-sandbox so there I problem with wholesale merge.  I am
willing to help identify idependent parts or modify offending code.
But if we find too many places where our opinions differ than the
merge will turn into cherry picking and it is only you who can
cherry pick to build-improvements.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden