Re: [Axiom-developer] differences wh-sandbox and build-improvements, wa

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] differences wh-sandbox and build-improvements, was: Kudos
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 21:54:38 +0200 (CEST)

Martin Rubey wrote:
> Waldek, Gaby, maybe you could spend a minute explaining in what ways
> build-improvements and wh-sandbox differ. I have the impression that
> wh-sandbox
> covers most if not all of build-improvements.  Is this incorrect?  If not, why
> do you want to merge things back from wh-sandbox into build-improvements and
> not the other way round?

Concerning parts of build-improvements included in wh-sandbox let
me repeat (with little correction) what I wrote in another mail:

The src/boot directory and src/scripts/document.in is synced with
build improvements 485.
In src/interp and src/algebra I belive that I picked all changes
that I now want to go into wh-sandbox -- in this sense both directories
are synced, but differences are significant (I may use some changes later
but ATM other changes conflict with my work).  Other directories
(src/lib, src/clef, src/sman, src/graph, src/hyper) were synced
with build improvements 358 and need re-syncing.

In particular many portability improvements to build-improvements
are still not merged.

If you look at line counts (and skip genereated files) probably the
biggest part of build-improvements not include in wh-sandbox is in
src/interp/Makefile.pamphlet and src/algebra/Makefile.pamphlet.  ATM
this difference is intentional, algebra build in wh-sandbox is quite
different then in build-improvements, and in interp Makefile I belive
that wh-sandbox has similar functionality as build-improvements, but
the Makefile is simpler.

I intend to merge other changes but I considered wholesale merge
inpractical (it would generate too much breakage).  So my tactic
was to merge configure part (most other changes depend on configure),
boot part (easy to do and needed for my other work), and
interp changes (needed to avoid major breakage).  In principle
merging the other part should be now easier, but there are
some conflicts there...

What wh-sandbox has which is not in build-improvements:
1) A lot of unused code is removed from wh-sandbox
2) depsys boot files are converted to shoe (and bootstrap
   Lisp is removed).  IIUC Gaby is doing similar thing
   in build-improvements.
3) new algebra bootstrap
4) many bug fixes

--