Re: [Axiom-developer] Bug?

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Bug?
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 06:58:25 +0200

| > we could classify this as a bug. :-)
| | So if SPAD cannot handle anonymous categories and is seems it cannot

It appears to me that you're confusing the Spad language and the
language you can use at the interpreter level (i.e. in ".input"
files).

Certainly not. I rather forgot to escape +, -, and * to _+, _-, _*. In Aldor that is not necessary. The special symbols +,-,*, 0, 1 can be used as identifiers. I hope that some day SPAD also treats them more naturally, i.e. without the need to escape them. And I also hope that something like

CardinalNumber: Join(OrderedSet, AbelianMonoid, Monoid,
                     RetractableTo NonNegativeInteger) with
    commutative "*"
       ++ a domain D has \spad{commutative("*")} if it has an operation
       ++ \spad{"*": (D,D) -> D} which is commutative.
    "-": (%,%) -> Union(%,"failed")
++ \spad{x - y} returns an element z such that \spad{z+y=x} or "failed"

where the escape mechanism is by double quotes will go away in the future, since it looks too string-like.

Ralf