Re: [Axiom-developer] new problem compiling wh-sandbox, rev 470 (urgent.

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] new problem compiling wh-sandbox, rev 470 (urgent...)
Date: 29 Mar 2007 09:03:20 +0200

Waldek Hebisch <address@hidden> writes:

> But I must admit that I saw quite a few weird build problems -- most of the
> time problem went away re-running make but some were repeatable.

Oh dear. So, why doesn't this happen with "GoldenAxiom"? Is the new build
procedure more sensitive to sloppy programming bugs?

> I was able to track some problems to real bugs (at some point Axiom generated
> wrong data structure, causing memory corruption later and finally a weird
> crash), but some went away due to seemingly unrelated changes (and most is
> not repeatable).  Since I suspect that we still may corrupt memory I tried to
> build Axiom setting GCL safety to 3.  After 16 hours the build stopped in
> guessing package with report about symbol having undefined value (I still
> have to investigate this deeper), but the previous parts build OK.

Well, meanwhile I was able to build most of axiom by building and installing
GCL (from build-improvements) separately. Before that, I almost consistently
got the error about missing ALIST.o. Might that help to track down the bug?

However, now the build stops in guess-pkg: FAMR2.NRLIB/code.o is missing.

Looking at trace, the problem seens to start in SUPEXPR, I get a "non extending
category" message there, albeit without any error message. The next domain
which is compiled is FAMR2, and there it says

System error:
Cannot create the file FAMR2.erlib/index.KAF.

(Note that FAMR2 does *not* depend on SUPEXPR...)

Martin