Re: [Axiom-developer] new problem compiling wh-sandbox, rev 470 (urgent.

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] new problem compiling wh-sandbox, rev 470 (urgent...)
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 16:46:40 +0200 (CEST)

Martin Rubey wrote:
> Martin Rubey <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Dear Gaby,
> >
> > thanks for the hint. It seems, however, that I had a singular problem.
> > Wiping
> > out tmp and starting fresh seems to work.
>
> Ai, it does not. Now it fails for ISUPS. Please help, I need it tomorrow for a
> presentation!
>

> compiling ISUPS.c by hand using
>

> gcc -c -Wall -DVOL=volatile -fsigned-char -pipe
> -I/home/martin/ax-build/build/i686-pc-linux/lib/gcl-2.6.8/unixport/../h  -O3
> -fomit-frame-pointer -c "ISUPS.NRLIB/ISUPS.c" -o "ISUPS.NRLIB/ISUPS.o" -w
>
> produced an ISUPS.o, but running make again failed at the same point.

<From log>
>    >> System error:
>    (SYSTEM "gcc -c -Wall -DVOL=volatile -fsigned-char -pipe
> -I/home/martin/ax-build/build/i686-pc-linux/lib/gcl-2.6.8/unixport/../h  -O3
> -fomit-frame-pointer -c \"ISUPS.NRLIB/ISUPS.c\" -o \"ISUPS.NRLIB/ISUPS.o\"
> -w") returned a non-zero value 255.
>
> (1) ->

That looks weird.  I would check basic things (do you have free disc
space, enough memory ...).  But I must admit that I saw quite a few
weird build problems -- most of the time problem went away re-running
make but some were repeatable.  I was able to track some problems to
real bugs (at some point Axiom generated wrong data structure, causing
memory corruption later and finally a weird crash), but some went away
due to seemingly unrelated changes (and most is not repeatable).
Since I suspect that we still may corrupt memory I tried to build
Axiom setting GCL safety to 3.  After 16 hours the build stopped
in guessing package with report about symbol having undefined value
(I still have to investigate this deeper), but the previous parts
build OK.

To resolve immediate problem you may try to copy ISUPS.o to
the target/i686-pc-linux/algebra directory and also copy it to
code.o file (if all files related to ISUPS are in place and
look up to date make should go on to the next file).

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden