[Axiom-developer] noweb and SVN

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: [Axiom-developer] noweb and SVN
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 18:39:29 +0100 (CET)

Looking at build problem (reported in private mail) I noticed
something which looks as serious incompatibility between svn
and noweb.  Namely, AFAICS files retrived by svn get timestamp
corresponding to time of retrival.  So, genereted files which
are up to date in repository may look out of date after checkout.
Typically this is not a problem because if checkout is fast
enough file and its dependencies get the same timestamp.
But sometimes we may loose race and files are needlessly
re-made, which again typically is not a big problem.  But
to re-make noweb we need noweb, so for noweb this is fatal.

We have the same problem with few critical build files,
notably with Makefile.in.

I think the the most natural solution for this problem is to require
already installed external noweb.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden