RE: [Axiom-developer] Re: Guessing package, was: Re: your program / pape

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Re: Guessing package, was: Re: your program / paper
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 15:08:33 -0400

On March 20, 2007 2:16 PM Alfredo Portes wrote:
> One would think that with so many open source projects out there
> as examples and the great minds that read this list, a working
> development/release method could be achieved :-). But of course
> this probably has been discussed many times on this list.

The problem with the Axiom project are probably fairly typical
of open source projects. Somebody else must have said this
already but ... it seems to me that the biggest problem with
software development is the people. It's hard enough to manage
an ordinary software project but open source takes that a step
further - you might say that it is impossible even in principle
to manage an open source project. People do what they are
personally motivated to do. Sometimes that is good for
collaboration and sometimes it is bad.

> I just say this because I plan to work heavily on Doyen this
> summer and would like to know "which" Axiom should I use.

I've used all three: Axiom "Gold", build-improvements branch
and wh-sandbox. Right now wh-sandbox seems to me to be the
most stable and the most interesting.

> By the way, what should be done with address@hidden
> If we cannot keep it up to date, I think we should remove
> it, especially now that the problems with sourceforge look
> like they have been solved.

That is a good question. So far I have just let it sit after
we ran into the space limitation again. Personally I think
it is still worth having Google Code as a possible development
environment. What I would like to do is re-populate it with
the new Silver (= build-improvements + wh-sandbox) minus
all the history.