[Axiom-developer] Re: Tests of sage.

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Tests of sage.
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 13:45:34 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: address@hidden [mailto:address@hidden On
Behalf Of William Stein
Sent: March 7, 2007 12:16 PM
To: address@hidden
Subject: [sage-devel] Re: Tests of sage.

On 3/7/07, Bill Page <address@hidden> wrote:
> I am sorry that is has taken a bit of time but I promised to let you
> know when the problem using Axiom with Sage that you reported back
> in January is fixed. I just tried the new release 2.3 of Sage today
> and I can confirm that the problem is gone, however I can not say
> yet exactly what has changed in the new verison that makes this now
> work for me.

I distinctly remember fixing the problem.

> For example in Sage on my OpenSuse 10.2 system after I typed an
> Axiom command such as:
>
>   sage: axiom('1+1')
>
> the system would hang until I pressed control-C. Thereafter, if I
> repeated the command, or other Axiom commands, everything would work
> fine.

I think my fix was just to send an extra line to axiom on startup.
This should work on all platforms.

> The problem seemed to occur on some systems but not on others. For
> example it failed for me on OpenSuse 10.2 linux but it works on the
> axiom-developer.org server and William Stein told me a few weeks ago
> that he could not reproduce the problem on his systems. Perhaps there
> has been a subtle change in the way pexpect works. I will discuss
> this with William.

I don't know what caused the problem.  It wasn't a change in pexpect,
since I have not upgraded pexpect in over a year, I think.  I must have
changed something in the SAGE expect interfaces that causes this
problem.   In any case, it's fixed now. Sorry it took a while.

William