[Axiom-developer] next release

From: daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] next release
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 00:11:39 -0600

Gaby,

> This is true in general, including your changes to Gold we don't see
> until the Big Day. I'm trying to single you out. We all have local
> experimental trees that would do more harms if published than kept local.

I published my whole research tree (in git, since svn was broken)
in November when we had this same discussion but got no response.
All of my axiom-related work is now kept in that tree.

>...[snip]... Please note also
> that because Gold and Silver have gone, until very recently, into very
> uncertain status ...[snip]...

The plan was to publish a new Gold at the end of November.  But in the
beginning of November we had the big discussion about me being "a
single point of failure" so I stepped out of the way and told everyone
that any changes they wanted in Gold they would have to do
themselves. Everyone had permission to do that. Since that time no-one
has changed anything. It became clear that nobody was going to make
the effort to create a new release.  I've decided to step back into
the role of releasing systems and am trying to catch up to the
outstanding changes.

I tried maintaining silver but I was the only one making changes.
Plus the additional copies of Axiom were causing rising server costs.
If it depends on my effort silver is dead. I only have enough time
available to do Gold and do my own axiom-related work. I certainly
don't have time to maintain silver. Since advocacy is volunteering
you're welcome to create and maintain a silver version that is a
test version for gold changes.

Gold will again be released on a 2-month, best-effort schedule.

Tim