[Axiom-developer] lisp lisp noweb speed issue

From: daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] lisp lisp noweb speed issue
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 15:03:27 -0600

> is this something you think can be used in Axiom?

Yes, I do. This debate has raged before on this list but I
believe that we need a lisp version of noweb for several reasons.
Your opinions may vary.

1) the )compile command needs to understand pamphlets directly
2) we need tighter integration of the interpreter and documentation
3) the build process will eventually be lisp-only (controversy)
4) we need to be able to experiment with pamphlet formats for new ideas
5) noweb slows considerably as the files get larger, apparently due to
   the shell pipe of data from process to process.
   (my work pamphlet is now 6M lines, (4k pages of doc, 67k lines of lisp))

Tim