Re: [Axiom-developer] A first attempt at a notangle in Lisp

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] A first attempt at a notangle in Lisp
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 06:03:06 -0800 (PST)

--- Waldek Hebisch <address@hidden> wrote:

> Your method of appending content to a chunk was quadratic.  Below
> is a diff changing this to linear method, gives much better speed (at
> least on "nag-e02.boot.pamphlet") but still much slower than Debian
> notangle (0.48s sbcl, 0.028s system version).  AFAICS reading
> pamphlets is still slow (takes 0.4s on "nag-e02.boot.pamphlet").

Thanks!  Wow, did that ever make a difference.  Where you running the
above after compiling cl-notangle.lisp or just loading it?  Running the
same comparison (I'm in SBCL 1.01, by the way) I've now got:

CL-USER> (time (load "./setup/runnotangle.lisp"))
Evaluation took:
  4.93 seconds of real time
  0.848053 seconds of user run time
  0.728046 seconds of system run time
  [Run times include 0.1 seconds GC run time.]
  0 calls to %EVAL
  0 page faults and
  12,686,456 bytes consed.
CL-USER> (load "./setup/cleardirs.lisp")
CL-USER> (time (load "./setup/runlispnotangle.lisp"))
Evaluation took:
  9.45 seconds of real time
  9.208575 seconds of user run time
  0.240015 seconds of system run time
  [Run times include 0.248 seconds GC run time.]
  0 calls to %EVAL
  0 page faults and
  175,565,168 bytes consed.

Which doesn't achieve Tim's goal of a faster notangle than notangle but
is usably quick.  Thanks Waldek!

I attached v0.2 with this patch applied.

CY

P.S. - I know the descriptive text in the file needs quite a lot of
improvement (for example I don't cite any sources at the moment) but
them's the breaks when it's 2am and you have to work tomorrow.  If
there is real interest in this as a tool for Axiom I'll try to spruce
it up some more.

Get your own web address.