Re: [Axiom-developer] SBCL and Axiom

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] SBCL and Axiom
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 15:02:43 +0100 (CET)

Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Waldek Hebisch wrote:
>
> | Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> | >
> | > We are almost there.  I've found that the new Boot is much simpler,
> | > and more comfortable to work with.
> | >

> | Gaby, how do you plan to avoid latent bugs due to semantic differences
> | between Boot and Shoe?  AFAICS Shoe accepts almast all (or maybe all)
> | Boot,
>
> Almost -- not all.  If you run the New Boot translator on some files
> in src/interp, you'll get syntax errors.
>
> | but trying to use it results in build failure due to mistranslation.
>
> What mistranslation?

Well, I tried once to compile all .boot files using Shoe.  IIRC I was
able to quckly handle syntax errors.  But the process quickly died
during algebra build: clearly SPAD compiler was mistranslated.

I now tried to just convert 'postpar.boot.pamphlet'.  First, quoted
symbols such as 'if 'in 'where where upcased (AFAIUI you call this
"library" differences).  I am not aware of any more problem with
'postpar.boot.pamphlet', but ATM build is in progress and it will
take some time to verify results.  However, I also noticed another
problem: Shoe mistranslates some where constructs.  In particular,
in as.boot.pamphlet we have function asCategoryParts which has
where clause defining three functions: main, build, and exportsOf.
main references exportsOf.  Shoe renames the three nested functions,
but fails to rename reference in main to exportsOf.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden