Re: [Axiom-developer] sayMessage

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] sayMessage
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 14:06:01 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007, Waldek Hebisch wrote:

| I personally do not like this design, but it is not clear if
| alternatives are better.  I considered:
|
| - making a completly independent function hierarchy for translator
| - adding global flag tested by relevant compiler functions
| - using assignment to 'symbol-function'
| - mixture of all above
|
| First variant means significant code duplication. Second variant
| means that individal compiler functions would be cluttered with extra
| functionality which is unused during normal operation.  Third
| variant is a slight improvement compared to current situation
| (would allow to restore normal operation when the translator
| has finished), but ATM I am not sure if gains would justify
| effort.  Fourth variant IMHO would only add confusion due to
| inconsistency.

Any reason not to consider fboundp?  Also I seem to remember Camm said
GCL has built-in autoload capabilities.  Since we're (un)fortunately
deeply rooted into GCL, why not consider that?

We currently have at least two Spad parsers (and same for Boot).  And
at least as many grammars (not always in sync).  And least twice parse
tree processors.  That is recipe for confusion.  We should aim for
decreasing duplications.