Re: [Axiom-developer] Socket and build-improvements under Linux

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Socket and build-improvements under Linux
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 22:27:52 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006, Vanuxem Gregory wrote:

| Le jeudi 14 décembre 2006 à 18:21 -0600, Gabriel Dos Reis a écrit :
| > Vanuxem Gregory <address@hidden> writes:
| >
| > | Hello,
| > |
| > | I know that the build-improvements is a work in progress but the
| > | execution of #405 (installed) stopped with:
| > |
| > | address@hidden:~$ axiom
| > | opening local server socket: Protocol not supported
| > | Fatal error opening I/O socket
| >
| > Please could you send me the corresponding config.log?
|
| No, forget what I'm saying. I'm working on some things and I forgot all
| other things. The problem, which I consider has to be fixed (probably
| later), was that I "reconfigured" Axiom after the completion of the
| build process (so there are some issues there...[1]).

Definitely, there must be something there that needs fixinig.  I'll
get to that later.

| Sorry.

Please don't.

| I tried to
| copy your branch and do a freshly build without success:

| ../config/mkinstalldirs ./..//target//usr/local/axiom.build-improvements/share
| cd hyper &&  make

"AXIOM=/usr/local/axiom-build-improvements/target//usr/local/axiom.build-improvements"

"SPAD=/usr/local/axiom-build-improvements/target//usr/local/axiom.build-improvements"
 SYS=/usr/local/axiom.build-improvements "NOISE=-o
.//build//usr/local/axiom.build-improvements/trace"
| make[2]: entrant dans le répertoire
| « /usr/local/axiom-build-improvements/src/hyper »
| gcc -O2 -mtune=k8 -O2 -fno-strength-reduce -Wall -D_GNU_SOURCE
| -I../../src/include -I../..//config  -I. \
|                 -c -o initx.o initx.c
| initx.c: In function 'ingItColors_and_fonts':
| initx.c:701: erreur: 'RmFontDefault' undeclared (first use in this
| function)
| initx.c:701: erreur: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
| initx.c:701: erreur: for each function it appears in.)
| initx.c:714: erreur: 'TtFontDefault' undeclared (first use in this
| function)
| initx.c:726: erreur: 'ActiveFontDefault' undeclared (first use in this
| function)
| initx.c:744: erreur: 'AxiomFontDefault' undeclared (first use in this
| function)
| initx.c:758: erreur: 'EmphasizeFontDefault' undeclared (first use in
| this function)
| initx.c:770: erreur: 'BoldFontDefault' undeclared (first use in this
| function)
| make[2]: *** [initx.o] Erreur 1
| make[2]: quittant le répertoire
| « /usr/local/axiom-build-improvements/src/hyper »
| make[1]: *** [all-hyper] Erreur 2
| make[1]: quittant le répertoire
| « /usr/local/axiom-build-improvements/src »
| make: *** [all-src] Erreur 2

| (the first time I built your branch this error was not present)

this is weird.

| But I insist forget what I'm saying, if I have fixes (and if there are
| some bugs) I'll send them, I'm obsessed by what I'm doing and this is
| not generally, for me, a good thing to mixes theses types of task.
|

| Ah, last thing, _THIS IS MARVELOUS_, the build process takes
| approximately 3 hours on my machines,  I love that (I don't why but I'm
| happy :-)), I don't need documentation I have an Axiom "standard"
| version. Many, Many thanks.

well, I don't know whether it is marvelous to take 3 hours to build.
I don't know how long it used to take before. :-)

There is something that I did to _marginally_ improve the build time:
remove most of the sub-shells present in Axiom gold or silver.  On
mnay platforms (especially, with previous solaris implementation of
sh), sub-shells can be wonderfully expensive to create.