Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Axiom-commit] flush

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Axiom-commit] flush
Date: 30 Nov 2006 03:41:25 +0100

Waldek Hebisch <address@hidden> writes:

| root wrote:
| >
| > in fact, this is a known bug (see src/input/Makefile.pamphlet)
| > and search for FLUSH.
| >
| > the package, attached below, makes no reference to how it is used
| > but it is intended to print lines which do not contain line-feeds
| > thus requiring the call to flush.
| >
| > the correct fix would be to add the line:
| >
| > (defun flush () (force-output))
| >
| > in vmlisp.lisp
| >

| Well, I think that this very well illustrates problems with Axiom:
| there is a known bug which hampers usage of an important package
| (the REGSET package). When the bug is fixed you fuss over edge cases
| in underspecified internal package.

I must confess, however, that I get very nervous when codes are deleted.
(And I do confess I delete codes too).  It is good you've looked into
that problem.  Edge cases are also part of fixing bugs, so I believe I
feel like Tim on this particular topic.

| Note that flushing output should be done when the outupt is complete,
| while iprint clearly is used to compose bigger units from small parts.
| But if you insist I may add a FORCE_-OUTPUT call to iprint (there is
| no reason to have extra flush function).

Could you write up this kind of insight in the pamphlets?  It would be
useful for some of us in the future.