Re: [Axiom-developer] make patch 50 work with the guessing package

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] make patch 50 work with the guessing package
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 12:17:37 +0100 (CET)

> Dear Waldek,
>
> I'm a little confused now. I thought that I had no problems in patch 49, but
> only in patch 50. but looking at the patches, there doesn't seem to be a
> difference.
>

> > OK, I see:  The change that commented out the two commands has date
> > from 2003 and was applied to 'src/share/doc/hypertex/pages/util.ht'
> > long time ago. AFAICS Tim 'src/hyper/pages/util.ht' does not contain
> > this change so I thought that Tim reverted the change.  And I consequently
> > thougt that uncommenting back the commands caused problems for you.
> >
> > ATM both build-improvements and wh-sandbox picked version were
> > the two commands are commented out, while in silver2 the two copies
> > are inconsistent.
>
> Does this mean that there are different util.ht's around? I just looked at my
> local patch 49. The built axiom has in util.ht

Yes, silver2 has two versions of util.ht: one in 'src/hyper/pages/util.ht'
and the second one in 'src/share/doc/hypertex/pages/util.ht'.  As of
patch 50 silver2 installed version form 'src/share/doc/hypertex/pages/util.ht'.
I did not check, but I suspect that patch 49 intalled util.ht from
'src/hyper/pages/util.ht'. build-improvenemts and w-sandbox have only one
version, but picked the one installed by silver2...

> % redundant defns for system commands
> \newcommand{\syscom}[1]{\lispdownlink{)#1}{(|syscomPage| '|#1|)}}
> %
> \newcommand{\spadsyscom}[1]{{\tt #1}}
> \newcommand{\spadcmd}[1]{\spadsyscom{#1}}
> \newcommand{\spadsys}[1]{\spadsyscom{#1}}
>
> which works for me. The other version does not.
>
> I think the best thing would be if I check again tomorrow. Maybe you could
> just
> tell me which Axiom I should build together with my package. wh-sandbox? It
> would probably be better to have only one util.ht :-)

You are invited to check wh-sandbox, but ultimatly you must decide which
versions work for you...  FYI wh-sandbox now corrected this problem with
util.ht.

> In any case, I think only the installed util.ht matters, since these files are
> interpreted, aren't they?

Well, if you want to run Axiom only installed version matters.  But
I think that this case nicely illustrate problems with unused code
-- after seemingly unrelated change the code may get used and
produce wrong results.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden