Re: [Axiom-developer] Building Axiom twice

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Building Axiom twice
Date: 22 Nov 2006 20:40:04 +0100

root <address@hidden> writes:

| > No, that is untrue if you say "make -jN", aka parallel build, which
| > build-improvements must support.
|
| this is purely my opinion but i don't believe that parallel builds
| of axiom will ever succeed. i'm willing to be proven wrong and would
| find that proof a pleasant surprise.

Then, just be patient.

| in sub-optimal builds of axiom this would be extremely difficult.
| as soon as you try to do optimization i can't figure out how to
| break the circles in parallel.

write down very carefully the dependencies.  That does not solve the
dependency problem itself.  But it does expose the potential for
parallel build -- and make is good at exploiting that.

sman, hyper, documentations, don't need to have AXIOMsys built before
being made.  Many files in interp/ do not need to be compiled
sequentially.  Even in algebra/, the build is sequential only at the
layers level.

[...]

| fast algebra is much more important than fast builds.

fast algebra is not a substitute for fast builds.  Meaning, we could
and should have both.